Re: macros

From: David Relson
Subject: Re: macros
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:18:55 -0500

At 11:43 AM 2/23/01, you wrote:

On Friday, February 23, 2001, at 04:34 PM, David Relson wrote:

> My recollection is that the error is trapped when autorelease is called,
> not when dealloc is called.  I remember seeing lots of complaints in my
> early days of using the Foundation classes. However, I'm too lazy to fire
> up an OpenStep machine to check.

Actually, I'm describing the GNUstep functionality that I know ... I guess
this might differ from the OPENSTEP functionality.

Richard,

There are definitely some differences between GNUstep and OPENSTEP :-) I particularly like GNUstep's ability to show object counts. Under OPENSTEP I had create a comparable scheme with macros for incrementing and decrementing counters in the init and dealloc methods for each class.

Of course the BIGGEST difference between GNUstep and OPENSTEP is that one is alive and well and runs on a viable operating system, while the other isn't.

David
David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson@osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800