Problems with building GNUstep and Window Maker

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Problems with building GNUstep and Window Maker
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:14:30 +0100

Hi all,

I am currently building GNUstep to create Slackware packages and to
write a complete and precise book on creating GNUstep from source (which
should be a distro independant document). While doing so I ran into
several problems related to both GNUstep and Window Maker.

I am using snap-shot core.20010110 and Window Maker 0.63.1
I build make first and then dgs, ffcall, gmp, libxml, libPropList and
WindowMaker with --prefix=$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT

The problem with Window Maker is that it builds WPrefs.app in
GNUstep/Local/Apps instead of GNUstep/System/Apps

I already mentioned in an earlier mail the building of libobjc in
$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps while it
should be in one directory lower

One other strange problem I found is that when configuring base from the
core package I discovered that it detects the gmp.h, it doesn't find the
gmp library.

For ffcall and the like it doesn't detect them at all

While libxml is detected correctly.

It even looks like it doesn't detect the newly build objc library and
uses the one that is installed with Slackware.

I was wondering if I should explicitly tell configure where it can find
the different libraries, although I thought the LD_LIBRARY_PATH should
find the correct libraries.

Greetings,

Dennis Leeuw