Re: A little help for GWorkspace

From: Simon Frankau
Subject: Re: A little help for GWorkspace
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:12:55 +0000

> From: Helge Hess <helge.hess@skyrix.com>
> Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:25:14 +0100
>
> Enrico Sersale wrote:
> > > This could be done using a daemon which implements a timer and sends out
> > > notifications (eg using NSDistributedNotificationCenter). One advantage
> > > would be, that this daemon only needs to run stat once if multiple
> > > applications are watching the same path.
> > >
> > > Greetings
> > >   Helge
> > >

> > This is exactly wath I want to do. The problem is *how* ;-)
> >
> > Any suggestion?
>
> I think the simplest way is to use DO and DistriNotificationCenter.
[snip]

My knowledge on the area is somewhat limited, but would it really be
more efficient to have a separate daemon process to stat files, with
its associated resources, plus the overhead of IPC to do DO, as
compared to each process just doing its own stat/poll calls?

I suspect the daemon would not be particularly heavyweight, but would
the extra effort of developing it actually produce a tangible
improvement?

As for receiving signals when a file changes, I don't really see the
advantage of this for us over putting the checks in part of the main
run-loop.

        Simon.