Re: Backend Docs (Was: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea))

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Backend Docs (Was: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea))
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 08:06:19 +0000

On Monday, January 8, 2001, at 07:09 AM, Sungjin Chun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That's the problem; we have almost no documentation or
> information on how to make a backend system and how
> currnet backend system works. Yes, I can refer the source code
> but it's too much for me T_T. Any suggestion or correction?

Sorry - last post .. I have to go catch a train soon, but I'll try to collect
email this evening.

The backend has two aspects
1. Event handling - uses NSRunLoop to watch the system and creates NSEvents that
it passes to the frontend.
2. Drawing/window management - a cut-down, dps-like API.

These are mediated by the NSgraphicsContext class - each backend provides its
own
subclass of this.
The drawing functions are implemented as inline functions that reference through
a lookup table to call the objc methods of the graphics context without the
overheads of going through the objc runtime, and are therefore pretty efficient.

The header files to look at are
NSGraphicsContext.h (the claass) and PSOperators.h, DPSOperators.h (inline
functions)

The backend provides the implementation for the stuff declared in these headers.