Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Jason H Clouse
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 18:31:30 -0500

<<GDK together with libart could IMHO provide all the missing
functionality (ps!) in conjunction with performance *and* more developers
(the GDK/libart maintainers, since we would just use those libs as
backend).>>

Could you give more information (I'm not familiar with them).  Would this
sacrifice the NeXT look'n'feel?  Would it be optional?

<<Uhn...C++ is completely out of the scope. I do not want to go deep into
it, but it is almost impossible to use C++ instead of ObjC because of the
nature of this language: late/static binding, typed and so on.>>

Doh!  I didn't consider that!  Perhaps Java?  I see the Objective C thing
as being a real roadblock to getting developers on.  Even though it isn't
difficult to learn (from my personal experience, at least) people seem
much more likely to get involved with a project in a language they know.

Jason

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.