Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 23:59:56 +0100

Helge Hess <helge.hess@skyrix.com> wrote (Sun, 07 Jan 2001 23:30:29 +0100):
> "Philippe C.D.Robert" wrote:
> > One question that comes to my mind then is: why not use the gtk X toolkit
> > instead of the xgps X toolkit? Perhaps this is a very silly question, but I
> > don't know the answer, so...;-)
>
> Because gtk+ doesn't have the NeXTstep look&feel which we all miss so
> much (at least I do). Ever tried MacOSX ? - unusable It's *so*
> unfortunate that Apple didn't just retain the NeXTstep UI.

Well, I should be more accurate, I guess...;-) I should have asked: why not use
GDK/libart instead of xgps?

> Anyway, I don't think that a gtk+ backend does make that much sense. One
> could just use GToolkit then.

Why? If we'd use GDK/libart the gnustep-gui API would remain as we all love it.
GToolKit is not the AppKit, and thus not really a choice (IMHO) for GS.

cheers, Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert | http://www.nice.ch/~phip/