Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 22:01:49 +0000

On Sunday, January 7, 2001, at 08:34 PM, Philippe C.D.Robert wrote:
> One question that comes to my mind then is: why not use the gtk X toolkit
> instead of the xgps X
> toolkit? Perhaps this is a very silly question, but I don't know the answer,
> so...;-)

As always, the answer is practicality ... If someone actually did that I'd be
more than
happy,  but if it means me having to learn a new set of skills and do it
myself, where's
the benefit over using our existing code?

Unless a tool is easily adaptable to my use, I'm not going to use it - but if
someone
can make it do the job I'll adopt it.
If you can show me that rewriting gtk to do the job is easier than working with
xgps
then I'll adopt gtk - but I've seen no evidence of it, and don't believe it.

You would have to rewrite gtk to work with gstep-gui, or rewrite gstep-gui to
work with
xtk.  Who would do that work?  If we can't get an almost complete system
working 100%
then what chance would we have if we went back and started rewriting again?

Basically, proposals to use other toolkits actually require that we have *more*
active
developers rather than making it easier for the developers we have.