Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 02:46:40 +0100 (CET)

> Hi,
>
> well, I have thought about that a little bit in the past... It would certainly
> a big plus to have a WM written in ObjC which could offer tight integration
> into GS with less effort.

Ahm - I'm not sure having a WM written in ObjC would make such a big
difference.  WindowMaker is an excellent piece of software and I'm quite
proud it's part of gnustep.  Certainly, it doesn't make sense to take the
effort of rewriting all of it just because we want it in ObjC.  If someone
has all that time to devote to coding, why not write a brand new gnustep
application in ObjC - that would be much more useful.

Rather, if we want better integration with the window manager - I don't
actually know much about that part - Enrico might know better - anyway if
we think we could have better integration between the wm and the workspace
manager/appkit - we could implement it as a little couple of additional
files in Window Maker sources, written in ObjC and which talks to gnustep
stuff using DO or whatever needed etc.  These files would only be compiled
in and used when window maker is configured with some option like
`--enable-gnustep-advanced-interaction' or whatever.  This is just a vague
suggestion - window maker people/enrico etc might know much better how to
do and what it's needed - anyway IMO if we need better and deeper
interaction, then a simple solution of this kind is to be sought - it is
not much use rewriting excellent existing and working software just
because we want it in ObjC.

As for me, what I really still miss in WindowMaker is the integration of
gnustep app icons etc.  For example, it's a pity I can't yet dock gnustep
apps.  I know this sounds a little childish - but I really use the
Finger.app to ping/traceroute remote hosts <that's why I wrote it> - and
it's a pity I can't dock it into the WM dock.

Probably this still needs some work on gnustep appkit too.