Re: environment variables vs defaults

From: Jeff Sciortino
Subject: Re: environment variables vs defaults
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:52:58 -0500

I think this issue has been a problem with running a consistent, legal port
on Debian, which I understand deplores the use of environment variables for
some of the reasons you cited.

A few applications I use (namely cdrecord) use files in the directory
/etc/defaults/ to record the defaults as an option to using environment
varables. (e.g. cdrecord's defaults are in the file /etc/default/cdrecord ;-)

How hard would it be to integrate something like this into GNUstep? My (very
limited) understanding is that it would make the Debian package much simpler.

Best Regards,

-Jeff