Re: ObjC, CORBA, IDL, GNUstep

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: ObjC, CORBA, IDL, GNUstep
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:43:10 +0100

Hi,

notably an ObjC CORBA ORB exists. I think the company which produces
that is called Paragon Software.
IMHO it would be a good approach to try to bind ILU to Objective-C. This
might even solve in-process bridging requirements. Unfortunatly I don't
have the time right now to look into that.

Regarding namespaces: there was a discussion of that in
comp.lang.objective-c recently. Stan Shebs of Apple also took part in
that. You might want to look that up for issues.
IMHO they should be implemented as available in Java.

Regarding forward declaration with protocols: apparently this is
correctly handled by the NeXT/Apple compiler. I agree that this is
extraordinarily annoying since it almost forbids the use of protocols
for anything useful.

Regarding Apple&GNU: Apple will back-integrate it's compiler into the
GNU one. So I would expect that Apple and GNU Objective-C are going to
merge anyway.

best regards
  Helge
--