Difficulty compiling GNUstep under Slackware 7.

From: zak
Subject: Difficulty compiling GNUstep under Slackware 7.
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 06:51:45 -0800 (PST)

Dear GNU step folks,

I would very much appreciate it if someone could assist me with a problem.

When I attempt to compile GNUStep 0.6.6 I get the following error.

<start error>
/usr/i386-slackware-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -lXext: No such file or
directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [shared_obj/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps/gpbs] Error 1
make[3]: *** [gpbs.build] Error 2
make[2]: *** [gpbs.all.tool.variables] Error 2
make[1]: *** [internal-all] Error 2
make: *** [subproj-all] Error 2
<end error>

I have attempted setting CC="egcs" as suggested in the RedHat HOWTO but
that makes no difference.

"ldconifig -v | grep Xext" prints:
        libXext.so.6 => libXext.so.6.4

I'm Running Slackware 7, kernel version 2.2.13.

Please let me know if there is any other information that would assist
you.

Thanks,

Zak L Brown

---

"There is no point trying to suppress the babble of words and ideas that goes
on in most adult brains, so if it won't stop, let it go on as it will, and
listen to it as if it were the sound of traffic or the clucking of hens."

        from TAO The Watercourse Way
                by Alan Watts