Re: gnustep on redhat 7.0

From: Georg Huettenegger
Subject: Re: gnustep on redhat 7.0
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 09:18:01 +0200 (CEST)

stephen,

> has this been reported to RedHat's bug tracker? I did a quick,
> non-in depth search and didn't turn it up....

if nobody else will do it i will file a bug report on friday or saturday
(after taking a second look at the problem).

to your problems building egcs/gcc-2.95.3 (also an unsupported,
experimental version) => it should be straightforward to build these
compilers either using the compat-egcs or the kgcc. the problem is to make
a binary rpm that can be installed additionally to the gcc-2.96 that ships
with rh 7.0 (that is the main problem in my eyes).

i fully understand why the redhat folks choose gcc-2.96 and glibc-2.1.92
and why they risked all the problems that we see now (and when looking in
the bugzilla database on sees other compiling problems too, but these
mostly show c++ coding problems: through the transition from gcc 2.7 to
egcs and now to gcc 2.95/96 the compiler became more and more standard
compliant and often c++ source is not standard compliant and newer gcc
releases do not compile them successfully. of course the snapshot
delivered now with rh 7.0 will need some patches to become a more usable
compiler but it is probably the best version available now delivering a
state-of-the-art compiler). other linux distributions have the choice to
change (or at least they partly do it) of changing their compiler within a
major release, redhat is committed to use gcc-2.96 (or something fully
compatible) throughout 7.1/7.2 approximately till next october (if the
past tells us anything about the future).

to put it in a nutshell if nothing relevant comes up until the weekend i
will take another shot at the problem and report my findings.

bye,
 georg