Re: gstep-base changes for MinGW/Windows

From: Lyndon Tremblay
Subject: Re: gstep-base changes for MinGW/Windows
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 15:53:59 -0700

Adam Fedor wrote:

> With the recent changes I've made to the base library, I've been able to
> compile the base library (static library only) on MinGW for Windows, and
> perhaps about 80% of the classes/test programs work.
>
> I can't seem to get the gstep-base DLL to work, though. It links fine,
> but then gives a 'Can't find __objc_class_NSObject' error when running a
> program.
>
> So far, I've only done the compilation using Cygwin utilities to do the
> compiling. I've added a README.MinGW in the core directory describing
> how I did it.
>
> --
> Adam Fedor, Digital Optics            | Fudd's law of opposition: Push
> fedor@doc.com  http://www.doc.com     | something hard enough, and it
> fedor@gnu.org  http://www.gnustep.org | will fall over.

This could be a problem with not using __declspec(dllexport) - but I'm not
sure
if that is necessary for Objective-C symbols.. you can try these links
though,
I don't have a windows box to test right now (except wine and mingw32
cross):

Sample makefile (not very good)
http://www.is.lg.ua/~paul/devel/dll_mk.html

And an exerpt from building a dll with cygwin:

ld --dll -o mydll.dll mydll.o -e _mydll_init@12 --base-file mydll.base
dlltool --base-file=mydll.base --def mydll.def --output-exp mydll.exp
--dllname mydll.dll
ld --dll -o mydll.dll mydll.o -e _mydll_init@12 --base-file mydll.base
mydll.exp
dlltool --base-file=mydll.base --def mydll.def --output-exp mydll.exp
--dllname mydll.dll
ld --dll -o mydll.dll mydll.o -e _mydll_init@12 mydll.exp

Then to make the import lib:

dlltool --def mydll.def --dllname mydll.dll --output-lib mydll.a

I'm not sure if these are the steps you took to build the DLL, but this got
me started
when I was playing with Objective-C in windows.

--Humasect