Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Capturing maximum complex value

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Capturing maximum complex value
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 14:39:41 -0400

On 3/17/19 12:55 PM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
On 03/17/2019 11:09 AM, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
I'm working on a flowgraph that generates an output waveform about 375 kHz wide with very high peak-to-average power -- at least 20 dB.  This is sent into a USRP1 with BasicTX board to generate an output at 29 MHz.  I'd like to show in the flowgraph GUI the peak instantaneous output level, to help in setting the gain.
[ ... ]
ANother approach is to simply multiply your signal by, let's say, 0.5 before being presented to the radio.   Crank that value up until you get
   distortion, then back off by sqrt(2).

That's what I'm currently doing -- actually, I do a constant mult of from 100 to 500 on the source signal (a file of 16 bit IQ recorded from an HF SDR). What I'm trying to do is set up a way to monitor for clipping without needing a separate spectrum analyzer, as each recording has different characteristics and a different optimum gain.