[Discuss-gnuradio] rtl-sdr weirdness at lower frequencies (below 27.675M

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] rtl-sdr weirdness at lower frequencies (below 27.675MHz)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 01:46:30 -0500

Tracked down a weird quirk in the rtl-sdr library this evening.

I was having problems with lower frequencies working, but only at sample-rates >300e3. There's a piece of code that tries to optimize selection of IF frequency and filters based on sample-rate. For some sample-rates, a lower IF is used, presumably to give "headroom"
  at the filter edges.

The *problem* with this heuristic is that at lower input frequencies, the sum of IF + input-frequency is too low for the PLL to lock--seems like it runs into trouble below 27.675MHz, which means that you need to pick an IF that's high enough to guarantee that the PLL will lock.

In my tests, I modified the code to detect this case and arrange for a higher IF frequency. This seems to work OK, but I wonder if the maintainers of the rtl-sdr library (are there any anymore?) have considered this issue...

Now, this isn't strictly gnuradio related, but the likely people probably hang out here from time to time...