[Discuss-gnuradio] Introduction for GSoC participation

From: Arpit Gupta
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Introduction for GSoC participation
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 22:56:34 +0530

Hi,
Thanks you Marcus for your insightful response on the project and also sorry for not introducing myself in the first place for GSoC.
I am Arpit Gupta, an Electronics and Communication undergraduate at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India. I am highly interested in contributing to GNU Radio as my GSoC project.
I am done with setting up the project and have gone through the guided tutorial on GNURadioCompanion and have been contributing to GNU Radio since January.
I am a member Information Management Group, a student group responsible for maintaining institute's website and intranet applications; Vision and Language Group, a student group aimed at spreading culture for reading and programming deep learning research papers among students. So, I am moderately fluent in python and C++.
I have had courses on "Signals and Systems" and "Principles of digital communication" in my academic curriculum which I found pretty interesting, so I am highly enthusiastic about working with GNU Radio this summer.
I have checked out the ideas list. The idea that suits me the most is:
1. Block Header Parsing Tool: I have text parsing experience in python, so this project would be really good to work on. Actually what I was originally doing is going through pycpparser for parsing header files but then I got to know that GNU Radio API (headers) requires to use C++ for compiling, not straight C and so now as per your advice I’m going through libclang in python for cpp parsing. I have also gone through the code of YAML file generator in modtool which is brilliantly written and can be easily extended with another CLI option in gr_modtool (Example: gr_modtool parse) which may then parse and give us the abstract representation of the header file. Currently I’m going through the hierarchy of Abstract Syntax Tree of C++. The info then converted to json can easily be used for further use like YAML file generation.
I have worked on some issues and currently have five pull request merged along with four open pull request on issues of GNURadioCompanion and gr_modtool, which definitely helped me getting more and more familiarized with its code structure.
So it will very helpful if I can get your guidance. I will be highly obliged.
Thanks.