Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] BER Example - With QT Gui Chooser for Different M

From: Cinaed Simson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] BER Example - With QT Gui Chooser for Different Modulations Issue
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 19:55:58 -0800

Okay, I was really trying to get you do a BER calculation just once -
without getting distracted by QT.

If you look at the output of the random number generator, it's output
appears to be unsigned bytes.

But the output of Constellation decoder, appears to be signed bytes.

At the BER inputs, you're comparing unsigned bytes to signed bytes.

Also, you don't know if the byte streams at the BER terminals are in sync.

The actually BER of your flowgraph is on the order of 30%. A signed byte
maybe 14% of the error (1/7)?

It's impossible to compare the output of the random number generator to
the output of the constellation decoder - 4 bytes of the decoder creates
a float which has a magnitude of roughly 100 - which 100 times large
then the random number.

So I replaced replaced the random source with a GLFSR source and the
inputs to the BER line up nicely in the time sink. The BER is 0x10**-6.

And one last point the symbols for bpsk are 0,1 - not -1,1 - the latter
are the constellation points for bpsk.

Just needs some random noise source.

Note, I'm just making this up as I go along - I've never done a BER
calculation.

-- Cinaed