[Discuss-gnuradio] [announcement] 3.8 Feature Freeze in effect

From: Marcus Mueller
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] [announcement] 3.8 Feature Freeze in effect
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 20:08:14 +0100

Hello bug-crushiest SDR community known to sentient beings across the universe,

as of yesterday, the freeze on features to still make it into the GNU
Radio 3.8.0.0 release is in effect.

This means that the list of missing features is now closed; this by no
means means that these are all implemented right now!

I'd like to highlight things to be implemented by 3.8.0.0 (list is not
exhaustive):

* Bug fixes. We need to get rid of all open bugs within the 3.8
release project. That means fixing them, not closing them ;)
* gr-newmod: What would be the worth of an API-changing release that
developers can't use to write OOTs for, due to a lack of template for
gr_modtool?
* modern CMake: There's ongoing work to un-historify our CMake
codebase. This will lead to better usability, rarer breakage, better
detection of dependencies, better test writing, cleaner API for OOTs.
It's sadly not done yet.
* Replacing our log4cpp backend with something better: log4cpp is a
bad dependency, and we need to get rid of it. Also, multiple parties
mentioned they need better logging, so I'm currently implementing a
multi-producer, single-consumer queue with arbitrary numbers of
logging backends.

As usual, discuss away here, contact me in private, or ping us on IRC.

Best regards,
Marcus