Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VHDL code testing with GNURadio?

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VHDL code testing with GNURadio?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 15:40:36 +0000

Hi Murray,

not an expert on the Altera side of things, but generally:

You'll need a simulator as VHDL simply isn't C-calling convention
callable code ;)
So, there's different approaches to that, but as far as I know, noone
has yet written an adapter that somehow (magically?) pipes data into
the Quartus-II-integrated simulator, and back out, from and into GNU
Radio, respectively.
OpenCPI might really be the right way here – haven't played with it,
was just very impressed by their talk at GRCon '17, don't know if they
implement an FPGA simulator interface. But yes, this is FPGA
development – sad reality is that most tools are clunky at best.

But maybe that's also not the way to go. I'd love to see someone write
a bit of glue code for Verilator, so that e.g. RFNoC blocks could be
run directly in software. Would be so much nicer than writing
systemverilog testbenches!

Cheers,
Marcus