[Discuss-gnuradio] Synchronization with additional noise issues

From: victor mesnager
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Synchronization with additional noise issues
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2018 11:39:23 +0200

Hi,

I have experienced some problem using the Symbol Synchronizer from gr-nwr-master (OOT). In the flowgraph attached, I'm doing QPSK with the DVBS2x modulator, the QPSK demodulator comes from the tutorial however I switched the different returns in my_qpsk_demod_cb_impl::get_minimum_distances :

    if (sample.imag() >= 0 and sample.real() >= 0) {
      return 0x00;
    }
    else if (sample.imag() >= 0 and sample.real() < 0) {
      return 0x02;
    }
    else if (sample.imag() < 0 and sample.real() < 0) {
      return 0x03;
    }
    else if (sample.imag() < 0 and sample.real() >= 0) {
      return 0x01;
    }

In my flowgraph, I'm comparing the input of the modulator with the output of the demodulator. In order to see errors between the 2 streams, the input is subtracted to the output. For a fixed noise voltage, high enough to get few errors, I will see a normal amount of errors at first and pretty quickly most of the received samples gets "wrong", as if the Symbol Synchronizer had lost tracking and the block delay changed at some point. It might be due to a frequency rotation too but I expect the Costas Loop working well.

I used the mpsk_stage6.grc to get started with synchronization stuff on gnu-radio, and the Polyphase Clock Sync is handling well noise voltage from 0V to 1V. However, when I tried to launch the mpsk_stage6.grc without differential encoding and decoding the behavior of the Polyphase Clock Sync turns out to be the same as the Symbol Synchronizer in my flowgraph.

The point is I want to start working on BER curves, so I need the synchronization not to be randomly relevant. What am I doing wrong not to get my Sync block performing with noise addition ?

Regards,

Victor