[Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus X310 FPGA Compatibility Number

From: Zhan Yanjun
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus X310 FPGA Compatibility Number
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 09:35:57 +0000

Hello,

I am relatively new to the SDR scene, and I have set up the UHD and X310 drivers in my computer. I used gnuradio-companion to create a simple flowchart to test the receiving and recording of signals, and I came across this error:

-- X300 initialization sequence...
-- Determining maximum frame size... 8000 bytes.
-- Setup basic communication...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/user/Desktop/ZYJ X310 files/top_block.py", line 340, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/user/Desktop/ZYJ X310 files/top_block.py", line 328, in main
    tb = top_block_cls()
  File "/home/user/Desktop/ZYJ X310 files/top_block.py", line 106, in __init__
    channels=range(4),
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/uhd/__init__.py", line 122, in constructor_interceptor
    return old_constructor(*args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/uhd/uhd_swig.py", line 2683, in make
    return _uhd_swig.usrp_source_make(*args)
RuntimeError: RuntimeError: Expected FPGA compatibility number 33, but got 35:
The FPGA image on your device is not compatible with this host code build.
Download the appropriate FPGA images for this version of UHD.
Please run:

 "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/uhd/utils/uhd_images_downloader.py"

Then burn a new image to the on-board flash storage of your
USRP X3xx device using the image loader utility. Use this command:

"/usr/bin/uhd_image_loader" --args="type=x300,addr=192.168.30.2"

For more information, refer to the UHD manual:

 http://files.ettus.com/manual/page_usrp_x3x0.html#x3x0_flash

According to this line:

RuntimeError: RuntimeError: Expected FPGA compatibility number 33, but got 35:

This means that the UHD version, which I installed to be 3.10.3.0, is expecting an FPGA version lower than that flashed in the X310. As a result, I installed the latest UHD version 3.13.0.0, and tried it again. However, the same error was shown. This seems very strange, as now the newest UHD version expects an older FPGA image version.

Please correct me if I misinterpret the error message.

Please advise me on this matter, what should I do in this scenario? The X310 is not mine, and I cannot just flash another FPGA version into the hardware.

Is there a list of corresponding FPGA compatibility numbers with the matching UHD versions? This may help me to troubleshoot and match the FPGA image with the correct UHD version.

Thanks in advance,

YJ