Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] [UHD] Coarse roadmap for USRP E310 S

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] [UHD] Coarse roadmap for USRP E310 Software
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 12:33:03 -0400

On 07/17/2018 01:50 PM, Moritz Fischer via USRP-users wrote:
> Philip,
>
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 8:03 AM, Philip Balister <address@hidden> wrote:
>> A couple of notes based on updating the E300 to rocko ....
>>
>> 1) The N310 branch added a bbappend on something called salt which added
>> the need for the meta-openstack and meta-virtualization layers. For
>> basic E300 support, this is crazy layer bloat. I removed the bbappend.
>> If you really need it, I'd create a layer for specific applications,
>> salt seems to be some form of enterprise software config management
>> system ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_(software) ) Certainly not
>> every E300 project needs this.
>
> That's a good point, I'll look into making it more modular.
>

>> 2) The uhd recipe in meta-sdr needs updating. I'd suggest moving it to
>> meta-ettus, but it also supports users using other Ettus products with
>> other embedded hardware, so the recipe doesn't belong there. It would be
>> silly having to add the meta-ettus bsp to use a b200 with a pi-s.
>
> I have made an attempt at splitting up meta-ettus more into separate layers,
> the result of that is on github (master). I was hesitant to push it public
> since
> in it current form E31x does not work. N310 will move over to that (and the
> sumo
> release with the next release).
>
> Personally having the uhd recipe in meta-sdr was not convenient and we ended
> up
> building most of the filesystems with bbappends to the UHD recipe
> anyways, so I've
> decided to host the UHD recipe in meta-ettus in a meta-ettus-core sublayer.

Well, moving it out of meta-sdr means I'll need to drop the uhd
packagegroups and have the default images not include any usrp hardware,
including things like the b200. Since uhd doesn't build in master, I'll
go ahead and drop uhd and associated bitsfrom meta-sdr there.

I suspect this might make things easier for engineering development, but
long term, I think it will be harder for end users to use usrps with
random dev boards. Time will tell.

Philip