Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] [UHD] Coarse roadmap for USRP E310 S

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] [UHD] Coarse roadmap for USRP E310 Software
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 11:03:23 -0400

A couple of notes based on updating the E300 to rocko ....

1) The N310 branch added a bbappend on something called salt which added
the need for the meta-openstack and meta-virtualization layers. For
basic E300 support, this is crazy layer bloat. I removed the bbappend.
If you really need it, I'd create a layer for specific applications,
salt seems to be some form of enterprise software config management
system ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_(software) ) Certainly not
every E300 project needs this.

2) The uhd recipe in meta-sdr needs updating. I'd suggest moving it to
meta-ettus, but it also supports users using other Ettus products with
other embedded hardware, so the recipe doesn't belong there. It would be
silly having to add the meta-ettus bsp to use a b200 with a pi-s.

3) While messing with uhd, it is time to have the firmware recipe
package the fpga files on a per device basis, instead of all images on
one package.

4) There are some other smaller fixes in
https://github.com/balister/meta-ettus-1

Philip