[Discuss-gnuradio] QT Gui mem alloc error - runs OK if R, C hints delete

From: Tom McDermott
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] QT Gui mem alloc error - runs OK if R, C hints deleted
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 16:52:39 -0700

Ubuntu 16.04.3
GRC 3.7.11.1   (from git)
I was on 3.7.13 couple of weeks ago, completely removed all of gnuradio
and rebuilt trying to debug this.  3.7.11.1 had same problem.

Got back to the problem of several weeks ago.

1. When I try to use a QT GUI sink (such as frequency) the invocation of
the QT Gui Frequency sink in this example throws a memory allocation error.

Qt has caught an exception thrown from an event handler. Throwing
exceptions from an event handler is not supported in Qt. You must
reimplement QApplication::notify() and catch all exceptions there.

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc

2. If I remove the Row, Column GUI hints from just that one QT GUI item, then it
comes up and runs OK. The other 9 of the QT controls (sliders, choosers, entry,
ranges) still have their R,C hints.

3. Went back to the GRC file in step 1 that still has the R,C hints in it
and it still fails with the error as shown in step 1.  It did come up and run
one time showing 'unable to set locale' error, but still ran.  Never seen that before.

Is there some limitation against using R,C hints on the QT displays (time,
frequency, etc.)?

-- Tom, N5EG