Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Hello GNURadio from the Amateur Radio World

From: Dan CaJacob
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Hello GNURadio from the Amateur Radio World
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 21:44:26 -0400

Will,

I think you will find a wide variety of real-world applications GNURadio has been used for. For myself, that includes ground to space and space to ground communications systems, encompassing both common desktop machines as well as embedded processors and FPGAs. Certainly it is easier to write a modem for a desktop CPU, but a good C++ developer (I am not one, but I work with them) can take advantage of pipelined operations in both embedded and desktop CPUs to make distinction between the platforms less crippling. The Volk project even makes this win more or less free (no need to write your own instrinsics) if you profile it for your specific embedded device.

That said, I notice a lot of people new to GR wanting to jump right into doing something hard on a Raspberry Pi or similar SBC. I think you'll find that's generally a mistake. I'd suggest getting comfortable with GR and SDR on the desktop before moving on to embedded systems, because there's a lot to learn in both and it's going to be worse if you have to learn them both at the same time.

- Dan