Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio master and UHD RFNOC Version Issue

From: John Medrano
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio master and UHD RFNOC Version Issue
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 07:20:43 -0600

Hello,

I apologize for my terminology, it is causing some confusion.

If you download the source from https://github.com/EttusResearch/uhd. You can compile this version and it should work fine with latest version of GNU Radio. But this version is missing additional modules that are available in branch rfnoc-devel. I inspected /host/lib/rfnoc for both the master and rfnoc-devel branches; there are several modules from rfnoc-devel branch such as sig_gen that are not available in master branch. That is what I am referring to as RFNOC UHD. I would like to continue using rfnoc-devel branch, and hence the issue that I am having. Since the version we were instructed that works with that branch, no longer compiles in latest version of Fedora. That version being v3.7.10.2.

When we build source, we typically install all dependencies and it the proceeds to build with no issue. But in this latest version of Fedora, we received compilation errors while trying to build v3.7.10.2. Since latest version of GNU Radio built with no issue, I suspected that changes had been made to correct for newer version.

Where in the source code, do they check the version of UHD for compatibility? This will help me to look back at and see which GNU Radio versions are compatible with the rfnoc-devel branch.

Thank you again.

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 6:46 AM, Müller, Marcus (CEL) <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi John,
On Fri, 2018-05-25 at 06:39 -0600, John Medrano wrote:
> Thank you for the response.
>
> The issue that we have is that the latest UHD RFNOC version is not compatible with latest version of GNU Radio.

That's simply not true. UHD, to GNU Radio, is just a library.

> So I must either compile older version in with newer compiler,

the compiler version has little to nothing to do with this, luckily :)

> or downgrade to a version that is compatible with UHD RFNOC.

You need to use a UHD version that supports what you need (RFNoC); "UHD
RFNOC" is not a thing. RFNoC is an architectural aspect of the FPGA
designs running on some USRPs. So, you need an _UHD_ version that comes
with compatibility for these.

>  Upgrading UHD to latest version will not allow us to use RFNOC. I may be wrong, but that is my understanding.

You'll probably need to manually build UHD, anyway.
After that, you need to build GNU Radio against that UHD version.

Best regards,
Marcus