Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RTP block / Opus vocoder

From: Adrian Musceac
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RTP block / Opus vocoder
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 00:34:06 +0300

Hi Albin,

Sorry, I was under the impression that RTP would be transmitted over
the air, which in some cases might make sense... like IP multicast
over MPEG-TS over DVB-S. But for Codec2 it does seem like raw audio
transmission is better suited. So then why the need for a Codec2/Opus
RTP block? I would think it would be better left to the application
layer outside GNU Radio to handle IP routing of audio streams?

My previous approach was to use GNU Radio blocks only for the PHY
layer, and use a simple and robust VOIP protocol (Mumble) to
distribute audio over TCP/IP, with some transcoding involved in case
of FM and Codec2 digital voice. With a single GNU Radio instance I
could then serve up to 4 voice channels and one control channel using
FDMA, with a mix of analog and digital channels.
Then again, this is just an amateur radio perspective, where network
capacity is not such a big issue and infrastructure density or SNR
performance are the limiting factor.

Regards,
Adrian YO8RZZ