[Discuss-gnuradio] Block to Load Taps From File

From: Maximilian Stiefel
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Block to Load Taps From File
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 18:07:01 +0200

Hello everybody,

it is as far as I know not that convenient to import taps from a filter design file to a design in grc.

On stackoverflow it was mentioned, that there is apparently a workarround using numpy.fromfile('filename'):

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36744843/passing-taps-to-the-filter-using-file-in-gnuradio#36771263

However, this did not work for me, because numpy wants, so it seems, a plain csv file with the tap values. For this reason, I wrote a small block and pushed it to my fork to make it more convenient to just use the taps created with the gorgeous gr filter design tool. The block allows the following convenient work-flow:

Filter Design -> Save to File -> Add File Taps Loader block to grc design and by that import taps into grc design -> Change filter design in design tool -> Taps are automatically up-to-date.

https://github.com/m3x1m0m/gnuradio/blob/file_taps_loader/gr-blocks/python/blocks/file_taps_loader.py

https://github.com/m3x1m0m/gnuradio/blob/file_taps_loader/gr-blocks/python/blocks/qa_file_taps_loader.py

https://github.com/m3x1m0m/gnuradio/blob/file_taps_loader/gr-blocks/grc/blocks_file_taps_loader.xml

Is this of any interest for others?

Also, I was for some reason not able to force the block being integrated into the section "File Operators". How is this done?

Regards,

Max