Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fwd: RTL-SDR for GPS/Galileo signal reception

From: Jean-Michel FRIEDT
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fwd: RTL-SDR for GPS/Galileo signal reception
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 14:04:33 +0200

at least your fc in the Matlab script is incorrect: removing the
carrier frequency has been taken care of by the RF frontend (R820T2).
You are only left with the offset between the GPS carrier and the frontend
carrier + Doppler shift. Doppler is in the +/5 kHz range, but offset can
be up to +/-100 kHz for the cheap DVB-T dongles, so squaring the signal
(also done in one possible implementation of the Costas loop) will give
you a rough estimate of the offset to which the Doppler is added
by sweeping fc with typically 100 to 500 steps.

JM

Thanks for the useful info but I am stuck after trying all the
possibilities which I could possibly understand from the internet. Here is
what I am doing:

I am taking signal of 1ms from RTL-SDR using GNURadio Companion at
Samp_rate 2.048M, and the flow graph is attached. after receiving the data
(I and Q complex samples) the shape of the signal is shown in the figure
attached.

Since it is the complex IQ data, so for demodulation I used complex
exponential function (exp(j*2*pi*fc*ts)). And after that I am doing the
acquisition using 'Parallel Code Phase Search Acquisition' algorithm. But I
am not getting the required result, instead I am getting some random peaks
of correlation (very low amplitude) for every satellite PRN's. I am also
attaching the MATLAB code for acquisition and example plot for one PRN.

Even after reading so many articles online, I couldn't find the solution
for that. I am not getting that what mistake am I doing in this whole
process of acquisition?

One problem that according to my understanding is that, may be the signal I
am getting is very weak, or it's just Noise. because I have tried all the
possible solutions, but couldn't find the good correlation peak for any
satellite.

And I am also getting two type of complex data from RTL-SDR, when I just
plug-in my dongle, I am getting a complex signal of random amplitude, but
when I take the data after some time then I am getting the data of constant
amplitude. I don't know which of them is correct, so I tried processing
both of them but results are same.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you
Priyanka

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 8:14 AM, Jean-Michel FRIEDT <