Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Dropping samples "D" when CPU at 60%

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Dropping samples "D" when CPU at 60%
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 12:38:28 +0000

Hi Bakshi,
On Wed, 2018-03-28 at 21:37 +0000, Bakshi, Arjun wrote:

1--- The divider(blue) simply tells me when the signal(orange) power has increases more than X times w.r.t. older samples. It isn't exact, but good enough.

No, that's not really the whole picture: it much more tells you about when the older samples were *really* low. y/x grows arbitrarily fast for x->0, but only linearly for increasing y. I've tried to explain why this is a bad idea in my opinion.

2--- However, the divider output is unbounded, so I threshold it (green).

notice that lack of boundedness is definitely a sign of lost information, and you throw away even more by thresholding.

3--- The threshold block's output holds at 1 until the input drops below a value, and doesn't give an impulse(green).

It gives a step. A step contains all frequencies. Especially, a step after your [1,-1] filter gives you an impulse.

4--- So I do the delay and subtract so that only transition points have non-zero values(red).

Exactly!

5--- Of which I want the 1st transition only, which is why I threshold again.

Why threshold? sounds like you want something that has a temporal behaviour, not a value amplitude-dependent behaviour

It isn't exact, but gets the job done.

I think I've clearly laid out my feelings about that!

Best regards,
Marcus