Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Introduction for GSoC18 participation

From: Wunsch, Felix (CEL)
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Introduction for GSoC18 participation
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 14:32:57 +0000

Hi Luca,

thanks for sharing your proposal draft! Here are some remarks:

1. You list a MIMO channel model as deliverable. For slow, flat flading you can use (as you correctly stated) a simple matrix multiplication block. That, however, already exists in GNU Radio. Or were you thinking of a wrapper around that functionality for some specific reason?

2. Without wanting to overload you with additional deliverables, I think a differential STBC such as [0] would be a nice addition. As it's very similar to the Alamouti STBC it shouldn't be much work but it dispenses with CSI estimation at the receiver, which simplifies implementation and potential applications quite a bit.

3. I'm not too familiar with the OFDM equalizer that is currently in the tree, but you should try to use the existing code where possible.

4. You write that you want to integrate the different MIMO schemes into gr-digitals OFDM. What exactly will that integration look like in the end? I would love to see some ready-to-use flow graphs as examples and potential building blocks for (even) more advanced applications. You would need and build them during development anyway, so this should also not really add to your workload, but immensely help GNU Radio users who want to use your work!

5. From your proposal, I'm not really sure if you are planning to do only OFDM-based examples or also narrowband ones (you write something about developing MIMO training sequences and channel estimation before you speak about OFDM). Personally, I think you should limit the scope of your proposal to OFDM. Narrowband systems require a  totally different synchronization and that is just overhead for you. Of course, you should still try to separate your, e.g., STBC encoding and decoding from the OFDM processing in a way that makes it usable for single-carrier schemes (Right now, I'm thinking of simply accepting different vector lengths for the respective blocks).

6. There are some minor typo / grammatical / wording issues, it would be great if you could also take care of that.

Despite of all the remarks I think you wrote a very nice proposal!

Cheers,
Felix

[0] https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ba1d/ba8af2e3cee3213794fe722d13e90de5baac.pdf