[Discuss-gnuradio] [GSoC2018][Filter Design Tool Enhancements][Need Feed

From: Sakshi Agrawal
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSoC2018][Filter Design Tool Enhancements][Need Feedback]
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 11:40:35 +0530

Hello Everyone,

This is Sakshi Agrawal, Graduated in Electronics Engineering. I have been following DSP industries. A few days back I ran into GSoC programme. I have seen some GSoC projects proposed by GNU radio in filter design. Having proper coding knowledge and strong DSP background from my undergraduate coursework I thought of contributing to GNU radio.

The Filter and Design tool by GNU radio is already very neatly designed and contributing to that will be an experience. The current to-be-solve issues are to improve the ease of using the tool, add more functionality and more support for filter design.

"This project is to improve our uses of these tools and blocks to make it more obvious to the users as well as automate some of the decisions for optimally using them."

Here are some thoughts which I think will be an extra feature to consider (may or may not be necessary) :

1. Tip the user when selection is to be made. Also, automate some obvious decisions.

2. Implement a tool that can save the current results into a file and also can import the existing file/plot which further can be used in other work or can be modified as per user requirement.

3. Implement a bidirectional support to graph or plot i.e. plot can be changed by values and also by a hand tool user can tweak the plot which will give desired values.

4.Implement a slider which changes the plot as the user slides on the values

5. Add support to more filter design and new filter specs

Specifically, I want to contribute to a module can be integrated to GR and gives a new functionality/concept like adding support for cascading filter.

Two  filter design concepts:

1. Add more support for Cascaded filters

2. Better support for creating PFB filters

I have been working on my proposal[0]. I would request you to go through it and point out any flaw that I should know or some general suggestions to make it better.

Best
Sakshi Agrawal

[0]https://github.com/sakshi18agrawal1/documents/blob/master/Sakshi_GSoC2018.pdf