Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using Different Compilers

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using Different Compilers
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 20:12:48 +0000

Hi Amirhosein,

On Sun, 2018-03-18 at 22:31 +0330, address@hidden wrote:
> As u know gnuradio have problem with threading especially with Xeon
> cpu.

Could you elaborate? GNU Radio is a heavily multithreaded architecture
that scales very well with number of cores; the problem (as
demonstrated e.g. at GRCon'17) is that you need knowledge of your data
flow to help you cleverly schedule threads, which, as far as it seems
right now, seems primarily a tradeoff between maximum parallelism and
pinning consecutive data handling to the same CPU core.

> Somebody advise me by using Intel Parallel Studio , we can optimize
> threading in Linux , therefore in gnuradio

I don't know how much intel replaces in the standard handling of
threads – for this to do anything, it would require a threading
userland library that not only gives finer control over thread
scheduling than pthreads (which GNU Radio uses) offers, but also
interacts tightly with the OS to actually implement that scheduling.

> My purpose of using Intel Parallel Studio is optimizing threading in
> gnuradio with Xeon cpu

At this point I'd argue that this is not a compiler-level problem, but
an architectural property, a set of emerging behaviours, and the first
thing you'd need to do is rethink the GNU Radio runtime to give
Parallel Studio any chance to optimize something. It's the core GNU
Radio idea that every block runs isolatedly from each other in their
own thread context; I'd expect an intel tool like that to be able to
help with finding optimizations for a very specific flow graph, but a)
these wouldn't apply to other flow graphs (do not generalize) and I'm
afraid that b) they would break the very idea that GNU Radio builds
upon.

Nevertheless, that is very interesting territory. If I was in a
position to consider optimizing GNU Radio, I'd certainly start with
something small – maybe identification of problematic behaviour first:
What does intel think are the main reasons for congestion and contested
ressources? Is there something specific one could remedy?

Best regards,
Marcus