[Discuss-gnuradio] Rounding errors in PFB channelizer?

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Rounding errors in PFB channelizer?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 10:34:45 -0500

I'm building a ridiculous flowgraph that breaks the AM broadcast band (540 - 1700 kHz in the U.S.) into 117 10 kHz wide channels and measures the energy in each. The thing is working but I see a frequency offset in the output channels that is not present in the data before channelizing. The output channels seem to have an offset in the range of 400 to 700 Hz versus the unchannelized input.

The signal chain is:

2.5 msps recording centered at 1.4e6 Hz -> xlating filter, decimation 2, output centered at 1.12e6 -> PFB channelizer with 117 channels, yielding a channel rate of 10,683.760683...... samples per second.

Looking at the spectrum at the output of the xlating filter, the carrier frequencies are correct. Looking at the output of a channel, the carriers are offset by several hundred Hertz, always high. (Given the absolute frequency is in the 1 MHz range, these offsets are parts in 1e3, a pretty large amount.)

I wonder if the large number of PFB channels is causing a rounding error that results in these frequency offsets. Or is there something else going on?

I can probably fudge the xlating filter frequency a bit to move the carriers closer to nominal, but would like to understand what's happening.

I'm attaching the (absurdly huge) .grc file. The canvas is 4192 pixels tall, so the flowgraph is smaller than the screenshot. :-)