Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Transition width

From: Thom L
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Transition width
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 10:40:23 +0100

Thanks to all for your fast, detailed and so clear answers! Now I think I'm able to set correctly this parameter!
Thank you so much,
Best regards
Thomas

Le 2 nov. 2017 10:30 AM, "Thom L" <address@hidden> a écrit :
Hi Marcus,
Thank you for the detailed response!
This is very clear now
Best regards,
Thomas

Le 2 nov. 2017 10:26 AM, "Marcus Müller" <address@hidden> a écrit :

Hi Thomas,

a filter usually has a passband, where signal goes through relatively unattenuated, and a stop band, where signal is heavily attenuated/suppressed.

The bandwidth between the edge of the pass band and the start of the stop band is never 0 for filters that can be implemented in reality. We call that bandwidth transition width.

How to "adjust it effectively" really depends on the *effect* you want to achieve, so... we'll have to talk about the purpose of the filter!

Generally, the smaller the transition width compared to the sampling rate, the longer the filter becomes, and thus, the more computationally intensive[1]. But, that doesn't say anything about the sharpness of the transition you *need*, as this is something that your specific use of filtering dictates.

Best regards,

Marcus

[1] https://dsp.stackexchange.com/questions/31066/how-many-taps-does-an-fir-filter-need