Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Matplotlib and GNU Radio: Dynamic plot

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Matplotlib and GNU Radio: Dynamic plot
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:04:48 -0700

Interesting!

So, my approach in this case would be:

1. Write a block that takes the data from your flow graph, and converts it to a format (e.g. JSON, KML, GPX,…) that makes sense for the receiving end. This data should be emitted as messages (not python variables).
2. use a UDP or ZeroMQ (I recommend the latter) to send these messages out
3. Write a really minimal web application that receives the things from 2. and updates a browser visualization. Use your own images or simply OpenStreetMap as base layer.

You can of course also write your own visualization block. That's absolutely feasible; it's just that matplotlib is really not the tool of choice for that here. But it's definitely not the software you need, either, to draw points on an image. There's literally dozens of python toolkits that can display images and modify them.

Writing visualization blocks will require you to think about how to thread them. And since it'll be hard for the block to interact with the main thread, but that would be necessary for GUI blocks to work, I don't know whether that is an entry level project. Anyway, do have a look at Tim O'Shea gr-pyqt ; it contains python visualization blocks, and I don't think it'll be hard to understand and modify them. Look at the raster_plot.py for example.

Best regards,

Marcus