Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [SOCIS '17] GRC C++ Output: Week 8

From: Federico 'Larroca' La Rocca
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [SOCIS '17] GRC C++ Output: Week 8
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 12:29:59 -0300

Hi Marcus,
Me and my team would be glad to help. I am aware that block interconnection depends on the scheduler, which forbids loops. However, my idea was not as ambitious as modifying the whole scheduler, but customizing the companion to generate the c++ code of a block, and thus my question (a sort of hier block, in terms of the companion, but written directly on c++, without interconnecting blocks, i.e. it would automatically generate the work() function, etc.).
This would of course be much less powerful than allowing loops on a flowgraph, and only certain operations would be allowed (those for which a c++ function exists). But it would allow to program relatively simple but useful blocks, including loops, with all the simplicity of the companion.
What do you think?
best
Federico

Hi Federico,

Loops in the Flowgraph are currently forbidden by GNU Radio itself, not by the GRC designer.

So, no, this is not scope of Hakon's project. If you want to contribute to having that feature in a generally useful manner, we can certainly chat about how you can improve the scheduler to make that possible.

Best regards,

Marcus