Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help understanding AX.25 encoding and tagged stre

From: Cinaed Simson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help understanding AX.25 encoding and tagged streams
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 16:40:32 -0700

On 08/26/2017 05:36 PM, Robert McGwier wrote:
> At one time rational resampling meant that the interpolation and
> decimation were each integers so the rate change is the ratio of two
> integers and thus rational.

All integers are rational. But not all rationals are integers.

1,2,3, are integers and rational.

The quotient of rationals is rational.

Hence

  1/2 = .5000000......
  1/3 = .3333333......
  2/3 = .6666666......

are all rational.

> If one or more of your inputs is fractional>

I can input 1/2 in the rational resampler which satisfies the "rate
change is the ratio of two integers and thus rational" - and the machine
will reduce it to .5000000....... - which is also rational.

> I believe you need the
> arbitrary rate resampler.

I've never used an arbitrary or fractional resampler.

Maybe by an arbitrary resampler they mean it can used with either
rational or irrational resampling ratios?

And maybe a fractional resampler is to make a small adjustments to
sampling rate - like on the order of a couple of percent?

-- Cinaed