Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio is part of the Rohde & Schwarz Engineeri

From: Joshua . Schueler
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio is part of the Rohde & Schwarz Engineering Competition
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 13:40:19 +0200

Hey,

As some of you may remember, this year's Rohde & Schwarz Engineering Competition was all about GNU Radio. We had a really interesting and fun competition and would like to share some of the best enhancements with you.
As promised, we released all relevant submissions of the qualifying round, where the objective was to optimize the DVB-T2 coder in GNU Radio, at https://github.com/RohdeSchwarz/gnuradio-engineering-competition with just some minor cleanups from my side. Each team's work is in a separate branch

A few pull requests should be posted right about now.

The results were quite amazing. The best team achieved over 55% reduction in used CPU cycles for our testcase, or specifically, the unthrottled throughput went from 37 MBit/s to 85 MBit/s with the Xeon server where we ran the tests on.

As you can imagine, many enhancements were either a bit ugly, tailored to our testcase or just not portable. I stripped some of them out, took the best submissions from all teams, rewrote some stuff, generalized them for all DVB/DVB-T2 configurations and tested them with the V&V data from the BBC. We are still looking at a total speedup from 37 MBit/s to about 75 Mbit/s unthrottled throughput.

Detailed explanations of how this was achieved can be found in the commit messages and the pull requests.

Thank you very much for GNU Radio, it is a lot of fun to work with and I learned a lot about SDR during the last months.
We would also like to thank all participants of the competition, they did a really good job, it was very pleasant to work with them and we enjoyed the time very much.

Best regards
Joshua Schüler

https://engineering-competition.com/en/