Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Change value of a Variable defined in the flowgra

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Change value of a Variable defined in the flowgraph from a block
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2017 09:39:10 +0200

Hi Cristian,

So, that's an architectural problem:

These variables are really just that: Python variables in the generated python program. Setting things when that variable changes works, because if your block defined a <callback> element in the GRC XML, then that method will be called whenever you change the Qt Range's value manually. This only works because the Qt Range is not actually a block or so, it's just Python code that gets inserted into the generated Python.

We do not consider that to be "clean design", because it's damn near impossible to do the same from within a block (especially if that block lives in C++ land).

What would be much easier is to give all the blocks that you need to change at runtime a message port input and handlers for messages, and then connect them to a "controller" block centrally.

Best regards,

Marcus