Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help with building a VHF-UHF SDR application on D

From: Cinaed Simson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help with building a VHF-UHF SDR application on Debian Jessie (using Gnuradio 3.7.10)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 14:28:24 -0700

On 06/19/2017 01:05 PM, Adrian Musceac wrote:
> Hi fellow Debian hams and Gnuradio experts,
>
> I am currently trying to build a SDR experimental application based on
> Gnuradio for digital voice and data communications in the amateur radio
> VHF-UHF bands [1][2]. I am using Gnuradio 3.7.10 on Debian GNU/Linux
> from jessie-backports. I ran into some problems which I will describe
> below and which may be solved with your kind help.

You need

  apt-get install gnuradio-dev

> 1. Trying to build gnuradio-qtgui support in, I encountered these errors:
> g++ -c -pipe -O2 -D_REENTRANT -Wall -W -DQT_WEBKIT -DQT_NO_DEBUG
> -DQT_SQL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED
> -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I../../qradiolink_mobile
> -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork
> -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtSql -I/usr/include/qt4 -I.
> -I. -I../../qradiolink_mobile -I. -o dtmfcommand.o ../dtmfcommand.cpp
> In file included from /usr/include/gnuradio/qtgui/number_sink.h:32:0,
>                  from ../gr/gr_demod_bpsk_sdr.h:27,
>                  from ../gr/gr_modem.h:38,
>                  from ../radioop.h:39,
>                  from ../main.cpp:41:
> /usr/include/gnuradio/qtgui/qtgui_types.h:26:27: fatal error:
> qwt_color_map.h: No such file or directory
>  #include <qwt_color_map.h>

First, there is no application called gnuradio-qtgui - it's a gnuradio
module or library, namely,

  libgnuradio-qtgui-3.7.11.so.0

And yes, gnuradio needs to qt4 to build.

Make sure you have

  apt-get install libqwt-dev
  apt-get install python-qwt5-qt4

> compilation terminated.
>
> It seems as if the relevant header from gnuradio references the wrong
> path of QWT. I can make it build by editing the headers to provide the
> QWT directory:
> #include <qwt/qwt_color_map.h>
> #include <qwt/qwt_scale_draw.h>
>
> It may be that this is relevant only to Debian packages from
> Jessie-backports, or it may be a larger issue.
>
> 2. When trying to build the application using QT 5.3 as provided by
> Debian, it links fine, but the application segfaults when running. The
> build works fine with QT 4.8, which makes me think that gnuradio-qtgui
> in Debian does not support QT5. Would be great to clear this. I can
> provide backtraces if required.

Correct - gnuradio currently needs qt4 to build. But Debian already
built gnuradio for you.

Note, there are gnuradio applications - like gqrx or inspectrum which
need qt5 installed - which isn't a problem because they're linking to
the gnuradio libraries and providing their own gni software - and not
linking to libgnuradio-qtgui.

Check to see if

  gnuradio-companion

works.

You'll have the choice of either using WX or QT widgets - QT is
recommended since WX will be removed in the next major release.

-- Cinaed