Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] why can't use iwconfig when I run the gr-ieee802-

From: Bastian Bloessl
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] why can't use iwconfig when I run the gr-ieee802-11
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 14:41:28 +0100

Hi,

On 06/07/2017 02:32 PM, zhan siyu wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Let me explain what I 'm doing.

I have two B210s connected with two computers. I want to measure the throughput between the two computers over the usrp connection over gr-ieee802-11. But no matter how hard I try, like tuning the parameters and turning off my own wifi card and AP, I can only get 150K B/s, which should be around 300K B/s if my theoretical calculation is right. There are no underrun or overrun errors. The throughput measurement tool I'm using is iperf, which is an application to measure the end to end throughput.

Could you give me some hints?

I'm afraid I can't help a lot, since I have no idea what iperf is doing. I guess it floods the network stack with UDP packets. The GNU Radio transceiver, however, has no back pressure mechanism, so it will just drop the frames when they are injected into the GNU Radio flow graph.

Also, I don't understand what exact analytical number you are trying to reproduce here. In fact, I have no idea what this experiment is supposed to show/prove or what part of the transceiver you are trying to profile. If, at all, this experiment will tell you how fast the TX-side can produce frames.

This was investigated in

Gonzalo Arcos, Rodrigo Ferreri, Matías Richart, Pablo Ezzatti and Eduardo Grampín, "Accelerating an IEEE 802.11 a/g/p Transceiver in GNU Radio," Proceedings of 9th Latin America Networking Conference (LANC'16), Valparaíso, Chile, October 2016, pp. 13-19.

Turns out, you can improve the TX-side by improving the OFDM Carrier Allocator.

Best,
Bastian

Best regards.

Siyu