Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] why can't use iwconfig when I run the gr-ieee802-

From: Bastian Bloessl
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] why can't use iwconfig when I run the gr-ieee802-11
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 21:23:05 +0100

Hi,

On 06/06/2017 03:55 PM, zhan siyu wrote:
Hi all,

I just found I can't use the iwconfig tap0 rate 20M to setup the bandwidth of the tap0. The error message is :

Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
          SET failed on device tap0 ; Operation not supported.

But in their video , it can be set in this way. May I know how to solve it ?

The WiFi transceiver is attached to the tun/tap interface, which is a virtual Ethernet device. This device doesn't support WiFi-specific configuration through iwconfig.

If you wanted this level of integration, you would have to write a kernel module that attaches the transceiver to a virtual WiFi card.

Some group already did that, but they didn't release the source code.

Best,
Bastian