Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to get the signal strength in gr-ieee802-11

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to get the signal strength in gr-ieee802-11
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 14:01:10 +0200

Hi Siyu,

what does "signal strength" mean to you? If you mean the "62%" or whatever network card drivers display, these values are, as far as I can tell, a combination of bit error rates, detected collisions and missed packets, as well as occult rituals and random numbers. They basically mean nothing.

If you mean "dBm", bad news, the SDR devices you can use with gr-ieee802-11 are *not* calibrated measurement equipment, so that's info that you can't extract without building a calibration setup first.

Best regards,
Marcus