[Discuss-gnuradio] Frequency vs time domain Filtering Anomaly

From: Ghost Op
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Frequency vs time domain Filtering Anomaly
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 13:31:22 -0400

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to sort out a discrepancy I'm seeing between a frequency domain and time domain version of the same filter.  What I'm running into is that my frequency domain implementation is a match for the GNURadio response, however in the time-domain version, while the filter band looks the same, the frequency domain version seems to remove more of the out-of-band signal by about 35 dB.

 You can see it in the screenshot below:

In my experience with code my first assumption is I'm doing something wrong.  But before I go on a bug hunt, I wanted to check with those of you who have worked with both time and frequency filters to see if my assumption that the two should be exact matches is accurate or if the result is as expected.  My understanding is that applying the same filter in either the time or frequency domain should produce the same output, and this doesn't quite look "the same" enough to me.  Does the forward/reverse FFT process in the frequency domain version cause some resolution/loss?

Any thoughts?