[Discuss-gnuradio] Volk in place

From: Stephen Larew
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Volk in place
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:19:11 -0400

I would like to use volk functions where the input memory is also used to store
the output. e.g. the numerator given to volk_divide is also the result of the
division:
```
volk_32fc_magnitude_squared_32f_a(out, in0, N);
volk_32f_x2_divide_32f_a(out, out, in1, N);
```
I have not seen any official documentation indicating that in place ops are
allowed. Of course, maybe I missed something.

A quick search brings up a few references; the most recent discussion was under
the subject "VOLK division between complexes” where Marcus Müller suggested
doing a `volk_32fc_magnitude_squared_32f` in place. In another discussion,
under the subject "[VOLK] Test-case behaviour,” Martin Braun indicates that in
place ops should work and documentation would be considered.

I’m mostly curious to know if this would be platform/instruction specific or if
the in place ops should be guaranteed to work for any given kernel.  I’m about
to test to see if in place ops works for my use case now.  I’ll report back.

-Stephen