Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSOC17 - Draft proposal] Implement SigMF functio

From: Ben Hilburn
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSOC17 - Draft proposal] Implement SigMF functionality for GNU Radio
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 10:21:24 -0400

Hey Bastian -

> No, they cannot. If your capture details aren't changing (center
> frequency, bandwidth, etc.,), then you can stream the annotations as
> they are continuous, but you can't hop back and forth between them.

But that means in all but the simples case the metadata cannot be
written in a streaming manner. And worse, you cannot know in advance.
If the SigMF sink wrote thousands of annotations and the SDR experiences
an underrun, it creates a new segment and invalidates basically the
whole file. So, AFAIS, we're back at the problem above, i.e., the sink
needs a way to deal with that.

Yup, you're right. Did you open an issue on the SigMF repo to discuss this further? If so, I think I missed it.

Cheers,
Ben