Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with underruns

From: Andy Walls
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with underruns
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 15:24:59 -0400

On Fri, 2017-03-17 at 14:36 -0400, Andy Walls wrote:
> > Hi Sverre,
> >
> > hm, I've taken the time to look at pulse_shaper_bs.py[1], but I didn't
> > fully understand what it does, mathematically/technically.
> >

> > It does in fact look like a very complicated way to do something that
> > I'm not 100% sure wouldn't be covered by a simple FIR filter, but
> > lacking a bit of documentation, and not finding the time to go into
> > all the if()-cases right now, can you explain what it does?
>
> Hi Marcus:
>
> The pulse shaper bs block looks like an MSK I or Q bit to half-sine
> pulse convertor, which one would use when generating MSK as an Offset
> QPSK with half-sine shaped pulses.
> Definitely the hard way to generate MSK, when using FSK with square
> pulses is much easier.
>
> The pulse shape block seems fairly inflexible WRT sample rate, and is
> using integers - as if it were a prototype for an FPGA implementation.

FWIW: The original pulse shaper implementation seems to be described in
section 7.3.1 of this paper:
https://brage.bibsys.no/xmlui/bitstream/handle/11250/2369767/350718_FULLTEXT01.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

See appendix A, Listing A.3 for the original C++ code.

This paper describes the current python pulse shaper implementation in
question on pages 26 and 27:
https://brage.bibsys.no/xmlui/bitstream/handle/11250/2405115/14772_FULLTEXT.pdf

Which all would have been very nice to have with the original posed
question.

-Andy