[Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble compiling a program using GNU Radio with MSVC

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble compiling a program using GNU Radio with MSVC17 (was: Global namespace Errors with Complex and xlocNum)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 11:43:08 +0100

Dear Melvin,

as much as I'd like to help you with this, it's very likely not a GNU
Radio but a MSVC-related problem – Now, it's completely possible this is
*really* GNU Radio-related, so we should keep on this. However,

> UPDATE: I removed Iostream since I commented out all cin,cout lines in
> order to just have the blocks declarations and connections,  and the
> original errors returned.
If moving header includes around, and commenting out usage of cin
**introduces** errors that disappeared by moving stdafx.h to the top of
the file, my diagnosis is:

The very, very likeliest explanation for all this is some strangeness
going on in your build system (in this, case, Visual Studio).

You should probably do two things:

1. Describe how you (built? and) installed GNU Radio and other
dependencies. Is this exactly the same Visual Studio version used to
compile the dependencies (among those, especially GNU Radio)?
2. make a clean C++ project without any GNU Radio includes. Build that.
If it works, add one GNU Radio #include, but don't do anything else,
recompile. Re-construct your source code "piece by piece". Compile
early, compile often. Where exactly do things start breaking?

Note that 2. is really necessary, I'm afraid, since the errors are
definitely effect of "something in the dark, something coming from the
swamp, something elder, sinister that twists the minds of humans and
compilers alike"; also note that I hate to put this burden on you, since
it really sucks as an early C++ experience.

So, hoping this will make it possible for you to continue working on the
actual things you want to do:
Is it possible for you to try a Linux system instead, if you don't have
to install it at all, but can run it off a USB stick?

Best regards,
Marcus