[Discuss-gnuradio] Timestamp on file sink for replaying data

From: Alexis Bartels
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Timestamp on file sink for replaying data
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 22:19:36 +0000

Hello!
I am very new to GNU Radio and I have been trying to figuring out how to create a “timestamp” on a incoming signal. I am trying to capture a signal using an Ettus N210 as the USRP source and display it in real time on frequency and waterfall sinks, while also writing it to a file sink. Later, I would like to be able to “replay” the saved file, but I would like to know the time (preferably in UTC) that the signal was observed. This is important because I need to match up changes in the signal to other events that might have happened. If possible, I would also like to be able to display the (UTC) time from the file on the GUI somehow.

I’ve mostly been using GNU Radio Companion, but I’ve also tried using Python.

I’ve looked into stream tags and using the Tagged file sink block , but I don’t understand what to use as the key, or how to extract the tag value during the replay.  I feel like this should be a simple task, but I’ve looked everywhere for an answer so maybe there is something else I don’t understand. Thank you in advanced.